How to Check Out a Kindle ebook from Wisconsin's Digital Library
1) Using a web browser on your
tablet, smart phone, computer or Kindle Fire, go to the MORE online
click on Digital Downloads to go to the Wisconsin Public Library
Consortium website (http://dbooks.wplc.info)
(Do not use the web browser on the e-ink Kindle, Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch.)
2) Sign in using your MORE library card.
3) To sign in, type your library system or local library name and select it from the list. In this example, Indianhead Federated Library System.
4) Enter your entire
library card number (without any spaces) and then click on
(You must have an up-to-date MORE library card with less than $10.00 in fines to check-out. If you do not have a library card, go to your local Wisconsin public library to sign-up for a card. To find your local IFLS library, go to http://www.ifls.lib.wi.us/Default.aspx?tabid=150 or to find your closest local Wisconsin library go to http://dpi.wi.gov/pld/wisysdir.html#public.)
5) You will be in your account after signing in. Click on Settings and set your default lending periods.
6) Click on Menu to find ebooks to check out. In this example, Nonfiction is selected.
7) Below is a list of nonfiction ebooks. Books can be displayed by cover, grid or list. Covers with a grayed out book icon in the upper right corner do not have an available copy to check out.
Grid view below
List view below
8) To find an available ebook, select Only titles with copies available from the pull-down menu.
9) Below is an example of ebooks that are currently available. You can sort the list by Relevancy, Title, Author, Release Date, or Most Popular. In this example, the list is sorted by Relevancy. Click on the cover to borrow or find out more information.
10) When you find an ebook that is available that you want to checkout and download, click on Borrow.
11) You can select either Read (In your browser) or Download in either the epub or Kindle format. In this example, the Kindle Book format will be selected.
12) Click on Download, then select Kindle Book.
Note - If you find a Kindle Books that is "Kindle devices via USB only", you will not be able to access these titles unless you have a Kindle device registered to your Amazon account. This is due to a restriction by the publisher. If you use the Kindle app on your Apple, Android, Blackberry device or computer and do not own a Kindle device, you should check out the EPUB format using the instructions for All Other Devices.
13) You will be directed to the Amazon website. Click on the
yellow Get library book icon.
14) Sign into your Amazon account with your personal email address and password.
Do not use the @kindle.com account created by Amazon.
(If you do not know your Amazon account email and password, you will need to go through the Amazon "Forgot your password" procedure. Library staff have no way of accessing your Amazon account.)
15) Select the device for delivery of your title and then click on Continue.
16) You will see the message below when your library ebook has been delivered to your Kindle or device with a Kindle app.
Your library ebook will be delivered to your Kindle when you are connected with a wi-fi connection. Kindle books will not be delivered on a 3G connection.
You may need to sync your device, check the archive or cloud, and/or turn the device wi-fi off, then back on again for the book to be delivered to your device.
You can start reading your library ebook on your Kindle.
17) If you do not have a wi-fi connection, you can download the ebook and transfer it to your Kindle with a USB connection. A different title is used the example below.
Download the ebook file.
The ebook will be saved as a file on your computer. Note where you downloaded the file.
18) Connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable.
19) Copy the ebook into the documents folder on your Kindle.
20) The ebook will be in your Kindle documents folder.
21) Begin reading your library ebook.
22) You can return or delete the library ebook from your Kindle Library on your Amazon account. Your library ebook will no longer work after the due date
Click on Manage Your Kindle
Click on Actions next to the borrowed title.
Click on Return this book from the drop-down menu.
Click on Yes.
After the loan is expired or returned, you can Delete from library. Click on Actions and then select Delete from library in the pull-down menu.
Click on Yes to permanently delete the title from your Amazon account.
You can find additional help from Amazon with library books by clicking here.